At Richgro, sustainability is part of our core business. Our commitment to sustainability is always evident through the decisions we make and actions we take on a daily basis.
We are committed to producing environmentally sustainable products and services where practical whilst doing so with a zero carbon footprint.
We aim to produce products and services that contribute to more positive environmental outcomes.
The company is well known for its ongoing commitment to environmental preservation with the development of such products as EZI-WET soil soaker, waterways friendly fertilisers and its increasing focus on the production of organics. There has also been a very strong move towards safer alternatives to minimises the use of harsh chemicals on the soil, with products such as Natural Beat-A-Bug and Beat-A-Weed.
The core of the Richgro business which is the supply of recycled organics (compost, manures, and fertilisers) is testament to the company’s business ethics of recycling and reusing products in a beneficial way for the environment. A large percentage of the Richgro product line is produced from renewable resource and this underlines the company’s core beliefs.
In 2013 Richgro invested over $6 million in the construction of an Anaerobic Digestion (AD) plant with the vision of generating 100% carbon free electricity whilst diverting organic waste from landfill.
The company is proud to have launched the first food waste to energy power generation facility in Perth where 100% of food waste collected from various industries is converted into either energy or fertiliser.
- 100% of all electricity used on the WA manufacturing site is 100% carbon free
- To date over 80,000 tonnes of waste has been diverted from landfill and recycled through Richgro’s AD plant which was then converted into clean energy
- All waste output from the AD process is used in composting of organic product on site or used in agriculture to add organic nutrient content to arid farming soils. This waste output is Certified Organic.
- 100% of all solid waste generated at Richgro sites are either recycled on site or sent for recycling
- All manufacturing and processing equipment where possible is run using carbon free electricity generated from our AD Plant
Watch our compost story on Gardening Australia.
Zero Waste Countdown
Our ongoing sustainability commitment in diverting waste from landfill through our Anaerobic Digester Plant.
Richgro joined the Australian Packaging Covenant (APCO) in 2005 and since then has shown continuous improvement and dedication in reducing packaging usage and improving the ratio of recycled materials used as part of total packaging.
- Buy recycle policy is a cornerstone of our purchasing process
- 100% of our plastic product packaging is recycled or recyclable material
- 100% of cartons, pallet liners and covers are made of recycled / recyclable material
- 66% of all product sales are composts and organics which are essentially recycled products diverted from landfill
- All timber products (sawdust , pine bark etc.) are sourced from sustainable / renewable timber growth forests
Our 2020 APCO Annual Report and Action Plan can be viewed here.