Zinnias love Summer.
These easy to grow annuals are perfect for the beginner gardener. Zinnias have soft, light green leaves and are available in various shades of yellows, reds, oranges and pinks.
- They require a warm, full sun position in order to produce a long-lasting display.
- Frequent cutting of blooms helps promote flowering all Summer long.
- Zinnias are best planted from seed in Spring, after the last frost has passed and the soil is warm. Place seeds into the soil (1 cm deep) and 20 cm apart. Use Black Marvel Rose and Flower Food (granular) when planting.
- A fortnightly feed with a liquid fertiliser such as Richgro Black Marvel Rose and Flower Food Liquid will keep their flowers blooming.
- Water at least once a week during hot Summer weather.
- Once established Zinnias are drought tolerant and can withstand dry periods.
Zinnias also make a perfect companion plant for vegetables as they encourage beneficial insects to your garden, including pollinators.